Based on a recipe by Keith Floyd from his book Floyd's China, "Chinese Beef and Carrots" is an ideal meal to cook in a thermal cooker. Cuisine from Sichuan include a number of beef dishes as they are very popular among the Chinese Muslims and this was one of the areas Floyd visited during his TV series on China. I have made a few alterations to the original recipe but it basically stays the same. Like all of my recipes they can be used in a slow cooker but you will not have the same energy saving as when cooking in a thermal cooker.
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
- 2 slices of peeled fresh ginger root
- 5 spring onions thinly sliced
- 750 g stewing beef cut into 1cm cubes
- 40 ml dark soy sauce
- 1 beef stock pot or stock cube
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 450 g carrots cut into batons
- Heat the oil in the inner pot over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spring onions and cook until golden brown.
- Add the beef and all the remaining ingredients except the water. Stir well.
- Pour over water to cover the meat and carrots.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and place the inner pot into the vacuum-insulated outer Thermal container, shut the lid. Leave while you start the rice in the top pot. If not using a top pot leave to cook for a minimum of 3 hours.
Cooking the rice in the top pot
- Add the rice and water to the top pot and bring to the boil. Stir then turn down the heat and simmer for 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat, open the vacuum-insulated outer Thermal container and place the top pot into the inner pot.
- Put the lid on the top pot and shut the lid of the outer container.
- Leave to thermal cook without power for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Check the seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper if needed
- Serve with the rice and some stir fry vegetables
Share this Recipe