The red cabbage (purple-leaved varieties of Brassica oleracea Capitata Group) is a kind of cabbage, also known as purple cabbage, red kraut, or blue kraut after preparation. Its leaves are coloured dark red/purple. However on cooking, red cabbage will normally turn blue but by adding vinegar or acidic fruit to the pot will help it stay red.
In Germany braised red cabbage or as they call it Blaukraut is a very popular dish. This dish of slow cooked red cabbage with apples is the perfect side dish for your turkey or goose. Although you can buy it ready made it is so simple to make in your thermal cooker so why not give it a try.
- 1 kg red cabbage thinly sliced
- 450 g cooking apples peeled, cored and chopped small
- 450 g onions chopped small
- 1 clove garlic chopped very small
- ¼ whole nutmeg freshly grated
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp wine vinegar
- 15 g butter
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Mix all ingredients together in the inner pot
- Bring to the boil stirring frequently
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes still stirring frequently
- Turn off the heat and place the inner pot into the vacuum-insulated outer Thermal Container.
- Shut the lid and leave to thermally cook without power for a minimum of 6 hours
Share this Recipe