Making the cake takes about 20 minutes to put together, 30 minutes simmering and 4 to 6 hours power free thermal cooking. This is a saving of 1 hour 30 minutes oven time. The recipe is based on a Waitrose recipe and uses their products but these can be substituted with similar ingredients.
- 250 g soft Five Fruit Medley
- 250 g luxury Mixed Fruit
- 1 lemon grated zest and juice
- 175 g butter
- 175 g light muscovado sugar
- 4 large free range eggs beaten
- 225 g plain flour
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 500 g golden Marzipan
- 100 g flaked Almonds toasted
- apricot jam warmed and sieved
- Line the case of your cake tin (see above for details of the tin) with greaseproof paper and grease the sides and lid with butter.
- Place the fruit into a bowl with the grated zest and lemon juice and set aside.
- Beat the eggs until they are fluffy and set to one side.
- Add the butter and sugar to a large bowl and beat together until pale.
- Add the whisked eggs gradually mixing well as you between each addition - if the mixture begins to curdle, add a little flour.
- Sieve the flour and mixed spice over the mixture, then fold in until combined.
- Cut 200g marzipan into cubes and fold into the mixture with the reserved fruit and almonds, until evenly distributed.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and level the top.
- Cover the top of the cake/pudding tin either with the lid if you are using Mr D's Cake Tin or eco-friendly foil. This is to stop water dripping on the top of the cake.
- Place the cake/pudding tin inside the inner pot on a trivet.
- Add enough boiling water to come ¾ the way up the side of the cake tin.
- Bring back to the boil and then turn down the heat to a low simmer. Simmer gently with the lid on for 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the inner pot into the vacuum-insulated outer container.
- Close the lid and thermal cook without power for a minimum of 4 hours. It can be left overnight.
- Once cooked, allow to cool in the tin before removing.
- Remove from the cake/pudding tin and place on a wire rack.
- To decorate, remove the baking parchment from the cake. Roll half the remaining marzipan into a round the size of the top of the cake.
- Brush the top of the cake with the apricot jam and place the rolled marzipan on top.
- Roll the remaining marzipan into 11 balls and position around the edge.
- Place under a preheated high grill for 1-2 minutes or until golden and finish with a ribbon decoration.
- Happy Easter
Share this Recipe