- 2 kg unsmoked gammon from the thick end of the leg
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- 2 carrots roughly chopped
- 2 sticks celery roughly chopped
- 2 star anise
- 10 black peppercorns
- 15-20 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 bay leaves
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- 500 ml stout
- 200 ml cola
- 6 tbsp black treacle
- 4 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp English mustard powder
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- Place the vegetables on the bottom of the inner pot.
- Place the gammon on top of the vegetables.
- Add 8 of the cloves and the rest of the ingredients and top up with cold water.
- Bring to the boil skimming any scum carefully off the surface.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place the inner pot into the insulated outer container and shut the lid.
- Leave to cook without power for 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove while you prepare the glaze.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Put all the ingredients for the glaze in a pan over a very low heat and mix until combined.
- Remove the gammon from the inner pot and put on a rack in a in a baking tray.
- With a sharp knife remove the skin leaving a
- good even layer of fat.
- Score the fat in a diamond pattern and stud each diamond with a clove.
- Pour over half the glaze and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes basting with more glaze every 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to rest for at least 10 minutes.
Share this Recipe