Another thermal cooker recipe by Mr D from Mr D's Kitchen. A wonderful casserole made with red wine, chestnuts and venison sausages. If you don't like venison though why not use pork or beef sausages and remember this recipe like all of mine will work well in a slow cooker.
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 6 venison sausages
- 200 g bacon lardons
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 2 onions peeled and sliced
- 150 g mixed wild mushrooms
- 3 sticks of celery finely sliced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp juniper berries crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 375 ml red wine
- 2 tbsp beef gravy granules
- 500 ml water
- 1 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 180 g vacuum-packed chestnuts
- Put the inner pot on the cooker.
- Turn on the heat to medium and pour in the rapeseed oil.
- When hot add venison sausages and brown all over.
- Once brown transfer to a plate.
- Add the bacon lardons and fry until crisp.
- Add the cloves of garlic and fry for 1 minute.
- Add 2 onions, the mixed wild mushrooms, the sticks of celery, the carrots, the dried thyme and the juniper berries.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until everything softened.
- Stir in the tomato puree.
- Pour in the red wine, the beef gravy granules, the water, the redcurrant jelly and the vacuum-packed chestnuts.
- Stir, add the sausages back and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling put the inner pot into the outer container and shut the lid.
- Leave to cook without power for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Serve with mustard mash.
Share this Recipe